Monday, September 24, 2007

Peter and the Starcatchers

Hannah and I have been enjoying audio books as we drive around to our various errands. Our minimum drive time is ten minutes, so we've been getting quite a bit of listening in. After our most recent book, however, we will no longer listen to audio books that I haven't previewed.

We read J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan about 6 months ago (read out loud, not an audio book) and enjoyed it immensely, so I thought Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson and billed as a prequel to Peter Pan, looked like a good bet. However, I was astonished to hear a s#x scene as we were listening to the audio version of this book. Thank goodness it went right over Hannah's head.

This book is completely inappropriate for a juvenile audience. The 10-14 year old target audience would not miss the s#x scene.

The book in no way approaches the masterful storytelling of Barrie's Peter Pan. It is lurid, graphic, and utterly lacking in magic.

I wouldn't play an audio book of Peter Pan for Hannah, either. I censored Tinkerbell's "silly a**" comments during our reading. I'd rather have my then 3 year old repeating "silly boy" than "silly a**!"

No comments: